Friday, July 26, 2013

As Long As It's Worship


The popular phrase "heart for worship" is used to describe passionate Christians who love to worship God, and it also happens to be prevalent in many song lyrics and titles. I have always taken the saying to mean something positive, edifying and uplifting. If someone described me as having a "heart for worship," I could boast in the Lord with great pride. At least, I'd like to think that I'd only boast in the Lord and not compare myself to anyone else.

But the phrase "heart for worship" comes up in different context.

I remember an instance of the same phrase when used to describe a worship leader, worship team or individual musician when the music didn't sound... good. As a matter of fact, I believe I was complaining to someone (a habit I'm proud to say that I've conquered and continue to conquer, but more on that later) about the qualifications of a musician and why they shouldn't be leading worship. The reply to me was, "Yeah, but he's got a real heart for worship." My thought was, "So What? He still stinks."

Why should a heart for worship be able to supersede what's pleasing to the ears? Well, for one reason: God. Whether you sing out of tune, with bad rhythm, too loud, with a lisp or when everyone else has already stopped, God loves that you are worshipping him with everything you have. But I'd like to relegate that to the congregation.

The reason worship leaders need to have authentic, musical talent is because they are worship leaders. Don't get me wrong, musicians who lead the congregation in worship can't just be great musicians. They absolutely need to have a heart for worship and a longing to glorify God. However, someone who is a great worshipper isn't always the best choice when it comes to leading.

I've used the term "worship leader" quite a bit now and I'd like to clarify something: everyone on a worship team is a worship leader. I don't mean that there isn't a leader at all and it's some kind of collective consciousness like a new-age drum circle (I loathe the cacophony of sound and the ridiculous "no leader" rule with its backward theology). I mean that while the worship leader who sings the songs and directs the people in singing is the head of the band, he/she can't function without the other members. The worship team leads, therefore each member is a leader.

Through my experience as a drummer, I'm aware that I have to know the songs inside and out and better than the band leader knows them in order to provide the strong foundation, the proper phrasing and the dynamic control the worship team needs. I know that if background vocals don't come in strong and with authority, the melody becomes weak. If the bass player is unsure of the next note, the song falls apart. Everyone, every single player in any band, is integral to the success or failure of their purpose, whether worship or just playing music. 

Worship team members should be chosen with these questions:

1. Is this person a leader, spiritually speaking? In other words, do people look up to them for spiritual guidance? Is this person living a life that reflects Christ outside of the church as well as within?

2. Is this person a qualified musician that can step up and lead? Can this person lead a congregation musically and with authority? Can this person function within a band?

The first question should apply to all Christians. God calls us to be Christ-like, to know him and make him known. Churches with small groups rely on asking this fundamental question and then asking, "How are you contributing to the body that is the church?"

The second question is more difficult. Surely no congregation holds the perfect mix of worshippers who can also lead with musical ease. There are many different skill levels, spiritual levels and leadership levels within the church and discernment is needed when making decisions about a worship team.



2 comments:

  1. "So What? He still stinks."

    I want to hear more about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truthfully, I can't remember the exact date or musician or even the conversation, but more than likely it's a shortened version of a few conversations I've had. And by a few, I mean a lot.

    ReplyDelete